An appreciation of flooding requires skills and knowledge in the volumes and rates at which water discharges from a catchment (i.e. the hydrology), and also the capacity of these waters to move through and across the drainage system or floodplain (i.e. the hydraulics).
The management of floodwaters is crucial to society A major flood can be devastating for communities and industry, while a minor flood can be beneficial to the natural environment and agricultural industries.
Decisions which have to be made when managing floodplains are complex. They must consider the needs of the community and the environment. We offer the following specialist floodplain management skills:
- Practical floodplain risk management plan formulation
- Hydrologic (catchment rainfall/runoff) modelling
- 1D and 2D hydraulic flood modelling, including calibration, validation and design application/impact analysis
- Community consultation and surveys
- Floodplain mapping
- Flood forecasting and flood warning systems
- Post-flood damage reconnaissance and assessment
- Flood mark identification and GIS-based database development
- Emergency response planning